[Zope-dev] [Zope 2.12] Eggification of Zope 2 - pros and cons?

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Mon Mar 24 04:00:29 EDT 2008

Hi,

during the latest 'zope.publisher' thread on zope-dev I came up with
the proposal to eggify the Zope core for the Zope 2.12 release. I would
like to start a discussion about the pros and cons, risks and advantages of
any eggification effort.

Chris favors a 'big' Zope egg with some dependencies (like ZODB) stripped
out. I would prefer a more broader approach. One of the reasons are
company-internals modifications to the Zope core. Right now we maintain a
more or less heavy modified version of Zope 2.8 in our repos (making Zope
upgrades
pretty hard). A better modularization would help us here. Another example:
the Plone people maintained a Zope 2.10 branch with experimental ZODB blob
support. With an eggified version of ZODB you could easily switch the eggs
(easily spoken).

So before promoting the eggification as an ultimate goal, let's discuss
what we really need and want. A complete eggification just for the sake of
eggs is possibly not the goal :-)

Andreas