[Zope-dev] Re: AW: Re: New i18n locale extraction concept

Maurits van Rees m.van.rees at zestsoftware.nl
Wed May 7 18:13:12 EDT 2008

Hi Roger,

Roger Ineichen, on 2008-05-01:
> I agree, a tool whould be great. But the first we need to
> offer i18n extract script which can handle our new egg
> based buildout process. z3c.recipe.i18n is the only one
> which could handle this right now.
>
>> Ideally, the recipe i18n tool should be able to extract,
>> merge, and give stats, just like in the monolithic zope release.
>
> Yes, z3c.recipe.i18n does this right now. The -d option uses
> one or more egg or develop externals as argument instead of
> one single path.

Some comments on that z3c.recipe.i18n

In README.txt you first mention z3c.recipe.start, then the i18n recipe
and then the app recipe.  Is the same meant in all three cases?

I like that it can extract locales from eggs.  I don't like that it
uses zcml for this.  Is the zcml really necessary?

Why specify both eggs and packages?  And why specify those packages in
the setup.py too?  At least that is what I see in zam.locales.

The tests don't run on Linux as there are Windows specific checks in
them, for example:

  File ".../z3c.recipe.i18n/src/z3c/recipe/i18n/README.txt", line 121,
  in README.txt
  Failed example:
      ls('bin')
  Expected:
      -  buildout-script.py
      -  buildout.exe
      -  i18nextract-script.py
      -  i18nextract.exe
      -  i18nmergeall-script.py
      -  i18nmergeall.exe
      -  i18nstats-script.py
      -  i18nstats.exe
  Got:
      -  buildout
      -  i18nextract
      -  i18nmergeall
      -  i18nstats

Of course quite likely there are also a lot of Linux/Mac packages that
fail on Windows because of similar reasons. :-/

            Work | http://zestsoftware.nl/