[Zope-dev] problem with using webDAV between MS Word and Zope

Wayne Glover wglover at technicalmedia.net
Wed Oct 29 00:15:49 EDT 2008

hi all,

i am using plone 3+ with zope ope-2.10.5-final

I am trying to use webDAV between Word and Zope.  This works fine for OO
(yes i know - don't use Word!  Not an option)

I have searched far and wide and have found the 'solution' at
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/zope2/+bug/143725) however, i can't get it to
work for me with this installation

The changes suggested by the bug fix at the link are as follows:

*** /usr/local/zope-2.8.4/lib/python/webdav/Resource.py	2006-06-13
16:35:29.000000000 -0500
--- /usr/local/zope-2.8.4/lib/python/webdav/Resource.py.orig	2006-06-13
16:20:17.000000000 -0500
***************
*** 197,203 ****
           self.dav__init(REQUEST, RESPONSE)
           RESPONSE.setHeader('Allow', ', '.join(self.__http_methods__))
           RESPONSE.setHeader('Content-Length', 0)
- 	RESPONSE.setHeader('MS-Author-Via', 'DAV')
           RESPONSE.setHeader('DAV', '1,2', 1)
           RESPONSE.setStatus(200)
           return RESPONSE
--- 197,202 ----
***************
*** 594,606 ****
       def manage_DAVget(self):
           """Gets the document source"""
           # The default implementation calls manage_FTPget
! 	# some things have manage_FTPget's that take REQUEST and RESPONSE
! 	# -- mengel 2006-06-13
! 	try:
! 	    res = self.manage_FTPget()
!         except:
! 	    self.manage_FTPget({},{})
!         return res

       def listDAVObjects(self):
           return []
--- 593,599 ----
       def manage_DAVget(self):
           """Gets the document source"""
           # The default implementation calls manage_FTPget
!         return self.manage_FTPget()

       def listDAVObjects(self):
           return []
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Note that what it is doing is forcing a response of 'MS-Author-Via', 'DAV')

what this is supposed to do is force Word to accept webDAV vs. it's only
silly thing.  good in theory, but i couldn't get it to work

After revising the file on the zope server, i then tried Word webDAV.  I
monitored the network traffic to look for the OPTIONS response telling
Word to use webDAV.  see attached txt file which has tcp stream while i
tried to save .doc file.    Note that, in the above change, the
"RESPONSE.setHeader ('MS-Author-Via', 'DAV') is supposed to be returned by
Zope to force Word to work with webDAV, but this does not happen.

This has been driving me crazy and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Note:  i have attached the zope 'resource.py' as i have modified it based
on the above link.  plz let me know if you can see what is wrong.

Thanks,

Wayne Glover
TechnicalMedia, Inc.