[Zope-dev] Dependencies and future of zope 3

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Wed Sep 3 19:52:18 EDT 2008

On Wednesday 03 September 2008, David Pratt wrote:
> Hey Roger. Sounds reasonable to me. Can we also discuss the potential
> of only including testing setup for dev eggs and removing testing as
> part of a release when the eggs are packaged to pypi or other
> repository for consumption.

-1. Without the testing environment available in the packages, we could not:

(a) Test the packages using the KGS.

(b) Verify that a package works within a given environment.

Both of those use cases are extremely important to us.

> While I personally do not like the contributor agreement, I am willing
> to sign to help out to work with you and others to get this settled. I
> am busy just like anyone else, but this stuff with the dependencies
> has to end now. Weve been with eggs for more than a couple years,
> progress has been made but it has been slow. Seriously, let's see what
> we can do to.

We are using eggs for about 1.5 years and really did not have a sensible
configuration until the KGS came around less than a year ago.

But other than that, I am all for less dependencies. Roger and I have worked
on this a lot already. (ZAM was developed out of a need to have the least
amount of dependencies while still having the ability to use a management
interface.)

Regards,
Stephan
--