[Zope-dev] RFC: adding support for testing from bare setuptools

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Thu Sep 18 02:05:17 EDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 12:42:33AM +0200, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Marius Gedminas wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 12:52:49PM -0400, Tres Seaver wrote:

> >>  $ ../bin/python setup.py test     # [2]
> >>  # Runs egg_info, installs regular and testing dependencies, and
> >>  # runs all unit (non-layer) tests
> >
> > I don't like the idea that running the tests installs additional
> > packages into my environment without me explicitly asking for it.
>
> You *are* asking for it by running python setup.py test.

I think I got confused (again) by the difference by setuptools and
distutils.

setuptools has a 'setup.py test' that installs dependencies and runs
tests.

distutils doesn't have a 'setup.py test' at all.

For some reason I thought 'setup.py test' was a distutils thing that
didn't know anything about dependencies, and that people who use it were
used it not changing the environment.

My mistake.

> Also, python
> setup.py test doesn't actually install testing dependencies (or any
> dependencies for that matter) into site-packages. It just dumps them
> into the CWD.

I don't mind that.

Marius Gedminas
--
This is the Local Descriptor Table, another weird Intel thingy.  Linux only
uses this for some strange applications like Wine.  We don't do anything