[Zope-dev] Zope Source Code Repository

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Sun Apr 5 11:48:45 EDT 2009

On Sun, Apr 05, 2009 at 09:10:10AM +0200, Dieter Maurer wrote:
> Marius Gedminas wrote at 2009-4-3 01:34 +0300:
> >On Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 07:31:00PM +0100, Chris Withers wrote:
> >> So, svn.zope.org causes me pain at the moment:
> >>
> >> - it uses the bizarre svn or svn+ssh protocols, which I find annoying
> >> (ports blocked on routers, can't check with a browser, etc)
> >
> >+10 for continuing to support svn+ssh, it's the best thing ever!
> >
> >    * secure (passphrase-protected key)
> >    * convenient (ssh-agent means you only type the passphrase once)
> >    * convenient to use remotely (ssh agent forwarding means I ssh into
> >      a remote server and can use svn without having to store a key or a
> >      password anywhere on that remote server)
> >
> >The story may be different for Windows users (as usual).
> >
> >+0.5 for alternatively accepting authenticated https access (I'm not the
> >admin, so it doesn't cost me, but I'm also not going to use it)
>
> Unless newer SVN versions improved on this: using different
> access protocols is hampered by "svn:external" as they were (still
> are?) required to be absolute urls (including the protocal).
>
> This way, the access protocol may change in between of a checkout
> (involving "svn:external"s).

This is a very good point I'd forgotten about.  However, currently the
existing svn:externals all point to read-only svn:// URLs, and switching
them to http:// would not change anything substantially.

Subversion 1.5 lets you use relative URLs in svn:external, if you're
willing to forgo compatibility with Subversion 1.4 clients.
See http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn.advanced.externals.html

Marius Gedminas