[Zope-dev] Zope 4.0, maybe not such a bad idea...

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Wed Apr 8 10:18:45 EDT 2009

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Chris Withers wrote:
>> Gary Poster wrote:
>>> Within the constraints above, then, in line with your original proposal,
>>> I think we'd be fine with "Zope Framework," and "Zope 2."  We certainly
>>> don't need Zope-3-the-tarball, if that's what you meant.
>> Zope Framework (and maybe even ZF4) seems to have general agreement.
>>
>> "Zope 2" can't stay as is, because people stick in in the chain of:
>> Zope 1, Zope 2, Zope 3, Zope Framework 4
>> ...so there will be confusion.
>
> This isn't a chain.

*we* know that, but any sane human being wondering past won't.

> Zope Framework is not Zope the app server. It's a
> collection of libraries used by Zope 2 and Zope 3.

See comment above ;-)

Everyone seems in agreement that "Zope Framework" is fine, and 4.0 would
be a good idea as a version number to make that official and clear.

I'd like to see a list of possible names for "Zope 2" and "Zope 3"
collected (I'm happy to do this) and put to a vote of the foundation
membership *soon* and then we can get on with actually using the new
names once you (as currently leader of the Zope world ;-) ) have made an
announcement.

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk