[Zope-dev] naming Zope

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Wed Apr 8 13:09:31 EDT 2009

Benji York wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 11:54 AM, Shane Hathaway <shane at hathawaymix.org> wrote:
>> Martijn Faassen wrote:
>>> If we don't call Zope Framework "4.0", we'll be fine. We should call its
>>> first release 1.0 and there's no implication of a progression.
>> +1 on calling it Zope Framework 1.0.  We need the people who have been
>> burned by past Zope releases to take another look, because we believe
>> Zope is finally getting simpler.  Those people would assume
>> Zope-anything 4.0 is just piling on more complexity, while a version 1.0
>> release would invalidate that assumption and suggest they take another look.
>
> Maybe I'm dense, but from the description of the Zope Framework (from
> http://docs.zope.org/zopeframework/about/index.html) as "a collection of
> libraries managed by the Zope developers," I can't imagine a non-Zope
> person being interested at all.
>
> As far as I can tell, the Zope Framework is a project management
> structure, not something outsiders would be interested in.

That's good point.

I think we've been mixing up the two concepts in the discussions.

My position:

* right now the Zope Framework is indeed a concept used primarily for
   project management purposes. The documentation is not geared towards
   outsiders.

* I think we could extend the documentation with some information useful
   for outsiders. It would take a better introduction in that document
   and some pointers to where to find out more documentation about the
   individual libraries. I think we should do this.

There are good reasons to present the Zope Framework to the outside
world (certainly where we want to attract new developers to Zope 2, Zope
3 or Grok):

* non-zope developers would be most interested in the individual
   libraries. If they want to contribute they'd need to find out how that
   is done, and this is documented there.

* it's the common foundation to these projects. We can therefore show
   where our community has some measure of unity.

* much of our community's development efforts are invested into
   this stuff! We should talk about what we actually spend a lot of
   our time doing and talking about.

Regards,

Martijn