[Zope-dev] naming Zope

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Apr 8 13:39:01 EDT 2009

On Apr 8, 2009, at 1:12 PM, Martijn Faassen wrote:

> Jim Fulton wrote:
>> On Apr 8, 2009, at 11:40 AM, Martijn Faassen wrote:
> [snip]
>>> How to get out of that bind? We could consider renaming Zope 3. Is
>>> there any potential for this?
>>
>> I think we should call the Zope 3 application "ZDecoy".  The rest of
>> Zope 3, the parts everyone uses, is covered by "Zope Framework".
>
> Okay, so we have zdecoy which contains the ZMI.
>
> Should we also rename zopeproject to zdecoyproject or could we move in
> the direction of a more generally useful tool that can be shared
> between
> Zope 2 and Grok and roll-it-yourself users?

I don't think the application that gets installed when people install
from the old Z3 tarball is useful to anyone.  I propose deprecating it
and calling it anything you want as long as you don't call it "Zope
3", which implies a progression from Zope 2.  The parts that make it
up, even the ZMI, are useful to people and should live on in the Zope
Framework.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton