[Zope-dev] who wants to maintain Zope 3?

Roger Ineichen dev at projekt01.ch
Sat Apr 11 10:55:32 EDT 2009

Hi Hanno

> Betreff: Re: [Zope-dev] who wants to maintain Zope 3?
>
> Roger Ineichen wrote:
> >> Betreff: [Zope-dev] who wants to maintain Zope 3?
> >> Is anyone interested in maintaining Zope 3?
>
> /me is certainly not

I don't understand why you are not interested in Zope 3.
Are you really not using Zope 3 packages like:

zope.interface
zope.component
zope.schema
etc.

I'm really confused

> >> With Zope 3 I mean:
> >
> > I think we should take a look if we can build a minimal setup which
> > Plone, Grok and other projects can use. Do you think there could be
> > such a based configuration? Or is there to much difference
> in each of
> > Plone, Grok, repoze etc?
>
> The "minimal setup" is called Zope Toolkit. None of the
> mentioned projects is interested in any of the Zope 3
> packages, except where those are still tied into the whole.

I don't understand what you are talking about. Probably
we don't understand the same if we talk about Zope 3 packages.

Zope 3 packages in my point of view are the packages
we as Zope 3 developer developed the last couple years.
They are available at Pypi starting with zope.* and
several other packages starting with a z3c.* as namespace.

What do you mean with Zope 3 packages?

> >> If nobody is interested, we should perhaps stop talking about it
> >> entirely. If people are just interested in the ZMI,
> perhaps we should
> >> form a ZMI project.
>
> +1, to declaring Zope 3 dead. That should allow us to refactor the
> remaining packages much more aggressively and reduce the dependencies.

What do you mean with remaining packages?

And what do you mean with aggressivley reduce dependency?

Hanno, it doesn't matter how we call the zope.* packages,
zope 3 or zope or just foobar. But we defently need a team
which takes care on such a core. It doesn't help if we just
propose the marketing Brand Zope 3 is dead or something else.

We all can benefit if we can confirm on a code base and
have the same vision in which direction at least this code
base should evolve.

Regards
Roger Ineichen