[Zope-dev] naming Zope

Hanno Schlichting hannosch at hannosch.eu
Sat Apr 11 16:39:02 EDT 2009

Chris McDonough wrote:
> On 4/11/09 9:40 AM, Chris Withers wrote:
>> "Zope 4 is built using Zope Toolkit 1.0, as is Grok, repoze.cfg, and
>> something else"
>
> repoze.bfg is actually *not* build with the Zope Toolkit at least as "Zope
> Toolkit" is defined by the Steering Group.  It uses only zope.component,
> zope.interface, and zope.configuration, plus the dependencies thereof plus
> zope.testing.  This works out to maybe 12 zope-related packages, while the Zope
> Toolkit is, AFAICT, defined as "the set of packages that Zope 3 used to be,
> versioned as a unit through time".

The closest technical definition of packages in the Zope Toolkit is
currently "what Zope2 (or Grok) needs of Zope 3, minus the stuff it
shouldn't need, plus the general useful stuff".

This comes down to a list of about 70 packages right now, where ideally
it should be closer to 50 after some more dependency cleanup. The
"general useful stuff" are things like zope.intid, zope.keyreference and
zope.catalog if I remember Theuni's mail correctly.

ZDecoy, eh Zope 3 consisted of over 140 packages, so I do see a very
clear difference between the two. That is not to say, repoze is based on
the Zope Toolkit :)

Hanno