[Zope-dev] who wants to maintain Zope 3?

Hermann Himmelbauer dusty at qwer.tk
Mon Apr 13 06:49:50 EDT 2009

Am Samstag 11 April 2009 15:05:31 schrieb Hanno Schlichting:
> Roger Ineichen wrote:
> >> Betreff: [Zope-dev] who wants to maintain Zope 3?
> >> Is anyone interested in maintaining Zope 3?
>
> /me is certainly not
>
> >> With Zope 3 I mean:
> >
> > I think we should take a look if we can build a minimal
> > setup which Plone, Grok and other projects can use. Do you think
> > there could be such a based configuration? Or is there to much
> > difference in each of Plone, Grok, repoze etc?
>
> The "minimal setup" is called Zope Toolkit. None of the mentioned
> projects is interested in any of the Zope 3 packages, except where those
> are still tied into the whole.
>
> >> If nobody is interested, we should perhaps stop talking about
> >> it entirely. If people are just interested in the ZMI,
> >> perhaps we should form a ZMI project.
>
> +1, to declaring Zope 3 dead. That should allow us to refactor the
> remaining packages much more aggressively and reduce the dependencies.

-1 from my standpoint. Two of my projects are fully based on the Zope 3
server, and switching to something else would be quite some pain.

I personally find it interesting that people are that fast with turning around
and killing off things. I personally based my decision for Zope 3 on Philipps
book ("Web Compontent Development with Zope 3"), whereas the latest edition
came out just 1 year ago. I adapted the concepts in this book to my needs
(e.g. by using z3c-based packages) and it's now a viable way for me and my
projects.

I understand that people like Zope 2 for historical reasons and Grok for it's
simplicity, but I would really wonder that there's no target audience for
various ideas/patterns in Zope 3 (security model, ZCML...).

I personally heard that repoze.bfg may be the way to go, however, I'm very
much in doubt even considering switching, as I wouldn't want to hear 1 year
later "Let's kill off repoze.bfg".

Moreover, I expect that there are many people like me, who started with Zope 3
with Philipp's book, so, would we really want to - ummm - "declare them
dead"?

If we do so, to my mind there has to be some migration path to something else,
may it be Repoze, or whatever. But just killing off Zope 3 is like
saying "Sorry guys, you just chose the wrong technology."

Best Regards,
Hermann

hermann at qwer.tk
GPG key ID: 299893C7 (on keyservers)
FP: 0124 2584 8809 EF2A DBF9  4902 64B4 D16B 2998 93C7