[Zope-dev] Defining Zope 3.

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 11:28:47 EDT 2009

Here are a list of things I have seen that you may mean when you say
"Zope 3". I'm sure I missed several:

1. Whatever is included in the Zope 3 tgz that you download.

2. All the packages included in the Zope 3 KGS. (Should be the same as
1, if I understand correctly.)

3. 1 or 2 minus the ZMI.

4. The zope.app.publication publisher.

5. A loose set of packages starting with zope.*, zc.* and z3c.*

6. A strictly defined (by the Zope Toolkit KGS) set of packages
starting with zope.*, zc.* and z3c.* that is central and common to
Zope 3 in the sense of 1 or 2, and also Grok and Zope 2.

7. Technologies that you use when you develop with the packages in 5 and 6.

I propose that the name Zope 3 applies *only* to 1 and 2. If future
versions of 1 or 2 gets released without the ZMI (as discussed in
other threads), then of course 1, 2 and 3 is the same.

Opinions?

http://regebro.wordpress.com/
+33 661 58 14 64