[Zope-dev] Defining Zope 3.

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Fri Apr 17 12:27:42 EDT 2009

Jim Fulton wrote:
> On Apr 17, 2009, at 11:49 AM, Martijn Faassen wrote:
>
>> Simon Michael wrote:
>>> -1, Gary's is clearer.
>> I think what is clear or not is very subjective. I think that at least
>> is clear.
>

> I think it is clear that you are disregarding many people's opinions.

Okay, I'll come back with a bit more rational response than my first one.

Could you also tell me how I'm disregarding people's opinions in this
thread? Examples?

Or do you think stating my own opinions and concerns, while I'm clearly
  (explicitly mentioned) thinking this topic through, is tantamount to
disregarding other people's opinions?

Do you really think I'm in this discussion with people just to disregard
their opinions?

I'm trying to consider the impact of changing a well-known well-used
name that carries certain expectations (different ones for different
people!) to something else that was set up explicitly to have different
expectations, namely the Zope Toolkit.

The Zope Toolkit concept was explicitly designed to *separate* those
expectations from the (vague but broad) expectations surrounding Zope 3.
I spent quite a bit of time trying to work that out. Now we're a few
weeks later. It is proposed instead we rename what we called Zope 3 to
"Zope Toolkit" and tell everybody that the expectations changed. I've
expressed clearly that's an interesting approach and also clearly that I
have some concerns.

Excuse me while I try to wrestle with the implications and alternatives
surrounding this. I do this because it all isn't very clear to *me*.

Regards,

Martijn