[Zope-dev] zc.buildout template recipes: concerns with [z3c|collective].recipe.template and other issues

Martin Aspeli optilude+lists at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 10:56:46 EDT 2009

Gary Poster wrote:
> I'm concerned about the state of the zc.buildout template recipes.  I
> want one.  I want some one-off files, specific to a certain project,
> for which writing a standalone recipe feels very heavy.
>
> Here are the template recipes I found:
>
> collective.recipe.template (Wichert Akkerman)

FTR, this seems to be the de-facto choice in the Plone world, and it's
quite well production-tested.

I didn't even know about the others. :)

> z3c.recipe.template (Uli Fouquet)

It's a bit disappointing that Uli created a new package rather than add
the relatively minor feature missing from collective.recipe.template
according to the PyPI page, although I agree the lack of tests is
off-putting and should be fixed.

Still, since the package was based on the other one, I don't see why we
couldn't have added tests to collective.recipe.template rather than fork
it. :-/

> Since I don't find the prospect of creating yet another template
> recipe attractive, and Philipp's z3c.recipe.filetemplate looks like it
> can take my new features while maintaining backwards compatibility,
> I'll try that next, I suppose.

What features do you want to add?

Why can't they (plus the tests) go into the original
collective.recipe.template?

Martin