[Zope-dev] Simplifying dependencies of zope.app.publisher

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Sat Aug 8 12:48:35 EDT 2009

Hey,

Fabio Tranchitella wrote:
[snip]
> Jim suggested that zope.container shouldn't assume that I want to use
> zope.publisher, and thus it is not a good idea to move the configuration of
> the XMLRPC traversers to zope.container.

I agree with that; I'd prefer zope.container to be publisher agnostic.

I recall vaguely when looking at it thinking it might be possible to
factor out the xmlrpc support entirely, but I don't recall the details.

> My knowledge of the zope.publisher is too limited to do any change in this
> area, but to me it looks like these configurations (both of them) should be
> perfomed by zope.app.publisher (removing the dependency zope.container ->
> zope.publisher), but conditionally (zcml:condition) only if zope.container
> is installed, (removing the dependency zope.app.publisher ->
> zope.container).

That sounds like a reasonable approach, except that the conditional ZCML
scares me a little bit - it's going to be hard to track down where a
registration is made, perhaps.

Regards,

Martijn