[Zope-dev] IRC discussion about testing

Wolfgang Schnerring ws at gocept.com
Wed Aug 12 02:31:14 EDT 2009

* Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> [2009-08-12 01:36]:
> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 5:22 PM, Jim Fulton<jim at zope.com> wrote:
>> - The versions specified in the controlled-packages.cfg don't seem to
>> be honored except for the package being tested. For example,
>> ZODB3-3.9.0b2 is used for test-kgs-ZODB3, but 3.9.0b5 is used for
>> everything else. Fortunately, it appears I can work around this
>> using a buildout versions section.
>
> In playing with this today, I'm inclined to think that it would be
> simpler to use a list of packages in an option to specify the packages
> to be tested and used a versions section to specify versions, rather
> than using a controlled-packages configuration file.

This doesn't strike me as simpler to *use* (as I said earlier, I'd much
prefer a *single* gesture of "use this KGS" to set up both the versions
and the list of packages to run tests for, and I think it's worth
spending effort to get there), but I'm not sure that's what you meant.
What makes you prefer two files instead of one?

I'm quite willing to either merge the z3c.recipe.kgs into compattest or
abandon the latter (or whatever) and to write a buildout extension to
pin the versions using a controlled-packages file, but I only want to do
that kind of work if we're reasonably certain that this is what we want.

Wolfgang