[Zope-dev] Deprecated code in zope.location

Dan Korostelev nadako at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 16:35:17 EDT 2009

2009/8/23 Fabio Tranchitella <kobold at kobold.it>:

> * 2009-08-21 21:15, Dan Korostelev wrote:
>> > What about removing the use of zope.deferredimport from zope.location and
>> > make a new major release of zope.location?
>>
>> +1, just change that to plain imports with # BBB comments.
>
> Would it also be possible to remove the dependency of zope.location on
> zope.copy? It is only needed to register an adapter for ICopyHook, which
> can be made optional in the ZCML.
>
> To me it looks a wise choice, because zope.location is well usable without
> zope.copy, and if somebody needs the hook it is because he will be using
> zope.copy, so he must depend on it.
>
> I prepared these changes in a branch, can somebody review them?

It seems somewhat strange to have a module that imports from a package
that is not in dependencies. Also, zope.copy is a very tiny module
with no dependencies beyond zope.interface and no C code, so I don't
see any problem with having it in dependencies. However, any option is
fine with me, so +0 :-)

BTW probably it's better to isolate the copy hook adapter in a
submodule with more sane name, like "copyhook" and deprecate the
"pickling" module, so people could understand those things easier. :-)

--
WBR, Dan Korostelev