[Zope-dev] script to help with dependency cleanup

Reinout van Rees reinout at vanrees.org
Thu Dec 10 10:34:49 EST 2009

Hi,

With all the dependency cleanup going on in the ZTK (and grok 1.1alpha)
we wanted to try it out with our internal packages.  So: removing
unneeded dependencies from code.

"If you import from it, you must mention it as a dependency in your
setup.py", so the setup.py needs cleaning up, too.

To make that easier, I made z3c.dependencychecker that gives you a handy
report on what to add or remove.  Be careful and do some grepping of
your own, too.  And run the tests.  And watch out for the obvious naming
problems like PIL/Imaging and ZODB/persistence/btree.

Anyway: 1.0 is just out:
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/z3c.dependencychecker

I've already fixed up grok's grokcore packages with this (and our
intenral ones), so it is tested on a reasonable set of packages.

Reinout