[Zope-dev] Avoid deprecation warnings in the testrunner

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu Dec 24 13:10:57 EST 2009

On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 10:52 AM, Zvezdan Petkovic <zvezdan at zope.com> wrote:
> On Dec 24, 2009, at 10:26 AM, Fabio Tranchitella wrote:
>
>> * 2009-12-24 16:20, Zvezdan Petkovic wrote:

>>> FWIW, I preferred zope.testing.doctest reporting of 15 tests because
>>> that's the actual number of things being tested in that file, while
>>> Python doctest reports 1 test only, because that's a number of test files
>>> being run.
>>
>> Me too, maybe we should push the changes to doctest upstream to Python?
>
> That will take some serious persuading.
>
> We could argue the above, i.e., that 15 different things were tested in one doctest file.
>
> Unfortunately, when a single test in a doctest file is mixed with prose descriptions to explain parts of the test, zope.testing.doctest counts it as a separate test.
>
> This was considered a misfeature in the past and would probably be rejected for the same reason now.

I think there was some consensus for an alternate algorithm: count
each example that
has output.

> People are divided in opinion on this and whenever that happens it's hard to push such a change upstream into Python library.
>
> Of course, it may be worth trying if there is a critical mass of supporters.

I'm too lazy to try something like that.  I think dealing with stuff
in the standard library
is too much of a pain. I recommend shifting focus to manuel. I hope
manuel is never added to the standard library. :)

Jim

--
Jim Fulton