[Zope-dev] SVN: Zope/trunk/ Moved zope.formlib / zope.app.form integration into a separate package called five.formlib.

yuppie y.2009 at wcm-solutions.de
Sun Dec 27 14:42:57 EST 2009

Hi!

Hanno Schlichting wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 5:43 PM, yuppie <y.2009 at wcm-solutions.de> wrote:
>> Why not following the normal procedure? At some point in the past we
>> decided to add formlib support to Zope 2. That's a commitment. We should
>> not drop features just like that.
>
> I think five.formlib is better served by being a separate distribution
> that can evolve on its own, much like we do it with
> five.localsitemanager. I don't understand this as dropping the
> support, but as shifting the maintenance to a different group. Both
> CMF and Plone use formlib today and have both come up with additions
> and new features for it. I want those to go into five.formlib. Having
> the code in Zope2 seems to prevented people from doing so.
>
> On the other side many people in the Plone community have started
> using z3c.form instead of formlib and it looks like all of Plone will
> shift to that.

Exactly. And I expect CMF will also switch to z3c.form.

> Once that happens I don't want to have formlib to still
> be there as a dependency of Zope2 for all eternity.

Agreed. I did just argue against the fast removal Tres proposed.

But five.formlib will only evolve for a short period. Soon it will
become a pure legacy package. Nothing we want to recommend for new
projects. And in the long run five.formlib and its non-ZTK dependencies
will become unmaintained.

Cheers,

	Yuppie