[Zope-dev] removing zope.app from the ZTK

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Dec 29 16:04:48 EST 2009

Fred Drake wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 10:39 AM, Wichert Akkerman <wichert at wiggy.net> wrote:
>> It seems that you want to have a 'ZTK+' which aims to be backwards
>> compatible with Zope 3 but is somehow not Zope 3 itself. That is
>> something that not everybody appears to be interested in judging by the
>> lack of progress on Zope 3 itself, but if you want to pursue that I do
>> not see any reason for you not to do that. But it should separate from
>> the ZTK.
>
> Agreed; the lean & mean ZTK is more interesting than this ZTK +
> zope.app construct.

Heh. I agree too. :)

> Creating a second known-good-set construct based on the ZTK and adding
> the selected zope.app package sounds like a straightforward task.  It
> should be able to reuse the testing policies with little or no change.

Agreed.

We should find some form of status for the 'zope.app.*' packages  that
makes sense.

These packages are already largely deprecated. Many of them are slated
for "deep freeze" maintenance. We can talk about removing such packages
from it, or even putting the whole thing into deep freeze maintenance.

But right now we need to provide some guidance for how people can move
away from these packages in a sane manner. And we should make sure we
continue to test the zope.app.* packages when we make ZTK changes, for
the time being.

Let's work out a plan and a timeline.

> I agree with Martijn's desire for caution, however.  This split should
> be done, but this is a split, not a simple removal of the zope.app
> packages without setting up this ZTK+ construct.

Yes.

Regards,

Martijn