[Zope-dev] Zope 2.12.2 SyntaxError on installation

Hanno Schlichting hanno at hannosch.eu
Tue Dec 29 17:11:20 EST 2009

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 10:53 PM, Marius Gedminas <marius at gedmin.as> wrote:
> Ah, but then why The Official Zope 2.12 Installation Guide at
> http://docs.zope.org/zope2/releases/2.12/INSTALL.html#buildout-instances
> doesn't even mention plone.recipe.zope2instance?
>
> Should it?  The namespace of the recipe alone is scary -- I don't want
> Plone, I just want Zope, cry bewildered newbie users!

Zope 2 has newbie users? I hope for them it has not :)

To be honest the reason that recipe isn't mentioned there, is because
Chris Withers worked on that section and didn't feel like it belongs
there. And nobody else cared a great deal.

Note that plone.recipe.zope2instance is actually in the collective,
has a bug tracker on Launchpad and is licensed under the ZPL 2.1. The
namespace plone just signals "written by the Plone community".

>> The current buildout docs are aimed at people who know how to set up
>> Zope2 and don't want any help. Those are comfortable reading ZConfig
>> definition files.
>
> Do you think that's how it should be, or would you like to improve the
> situation for Zope 2.13 (or even 2.12.3)?

I actually don't care about that specific piece of documentation.
There's hardly ever new users to Zope 2 that'd need it.

> Do you think a command such as my suggested 'zopectl init' would be
> convenient for both new and advanced users?

zopectl init would be highly confusing. The "zopectl" script is
usually associated with a particular Zope instance. That instance
should have been created beforehand.

But what would your tool do, that mkzopeinstance isn't doing?

Hanno