[Zope-dev] Differing case for Buildout on Windows

Sidnei da Silva sidnei.da.silva at canonical.com
Thu Feb 5 15:36:58 EST 2009

I've been constantly bitten by a very annoying bug: depending on how
you call buildout on Windows, a full rebuild might be triggered, if
only the case differs. For example, all the following calls cause
buildout to think settings have changed and that things need to be
rebuilt. Note only the drive letter changes:

  c:\Python24\python.exe bin\buildout-script.py -c
c:\src\some-project\buildout.cfg
  c:\Python24\python.exe bin\buildout-script.py -c
C:\src\some-project\buildout.cfg
  C:\Python24\python.exe bin\buildout-script.py -c
c:\src\some-project\buildout.cfg
  C:\Python24\python.exe bin\buildout-script.py -c
C:\src\some-project\buildout.cfg

Now, I'm wondering what is the best way to fix it. I originally
thought of fixing the data as it comes into buildout, but that would
cause existing buildouts to all possibly trigger a rebuild. I'm now
thinking of fixing the place where buildout detects that the path has
been changed as to normalize the path.

Thoughts?

--
Sidnei da Silva