[Zope-dev] multiple packages in the same namespace

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Sat Feb 7 03:36:31 EST 2009

On Fri, 6 Feb 2009 12:24:14 -0500
Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:

> On Feb 6, 2009, at 7:35 AM, Chris Withers wrote:
>
> > Jim Fulton wrote:
> >> zope.configuration isn't a namespace package.  It is simply a
> >> package  with subpackages.
> >
> > Does setuptools support something like:
> >
> > "packagea":
> > packagea/__init__.py
> > packagea/amodule.py
> >
> > "packagea.something":
> > packagea/__init__.py
> > packagea/something/__init__.py
> > packagea/something/bmodule.py
>
> No.

According to the setuptools documentation and our experiments on the
sprint, this is supposed to work and does work:

"When you declare a package to be a namespace package, it means that the
package has no meaningful contents in its __init__.py, and that it is
merely a container for modules and subpackages."

> > If so, which packagea/__init__.py gets used?

Only the __init__.py isn't allowed to have code is what I read from the
documentation.

> That's why it doesn't. :) That's also why zope.configuration isn't a
> namespace package.

I'm not arguing to turn it into a namespace package, I just wanted to
point out the technical issues are different.

Christian

Christian Theune · ct at gocept.com