[Zope-dev] Translations for zope packages.

Dan Korostelev nadako at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 03:34:38 EST 2009

2009/2/10 Adam GROSZER <agroszer at gmail.com>:
> In short, a good translation is consistent.
> That means the same sentences are translated to the same foreign
> sentence. A so-called translation memory is used for that.
> Also terms (specific words or expressions of the domain) are
> translated to the same foreign term.

Well, I have a general idea about what translation memory is. I just
wanted to clarify how we are going to implement that for zope eggs.
So, as far as I understand now, our localization migration process
should be like that:

1) create a separate translation domain for every package (so, the
"zope.container" domain for the "zope.container" package)
2) merge catalogs provided by current zope.app.locales with every
package's translations into the package's own domain (so we get all
packages somehow translated).
3) write a tool (probably a buildout recipe) that collects
translations from multiple packages into one PO/TMX/whatever file for
using it as a translation memory file for translation tools.
4) call for translators
5) ...
6) PROFIT! :-)

Correct me if I'm wrong.

It would also cool to integrate it with launchpad translation system,
but I didn't look at that yet.

--
WBR, Dan Korostelev