[Zope-dev] Overhauling the Zope 2 presentation on zope.org

Martin Aspeli optilude+lists at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 23:14:20 EST 2009

Andreas Jung wrote:

> On 20.02.2009 15:23 Uhr, Martijn Faassen wrote:
>> I really hope someone provides the resources to create a microsite
>> instead of "the Zope 3 approach on wiki.zope.org". Grok is doing two
>> things: a Plone-based site where people can contribute documentation,
>> and a Sphinx-based website for official documentation maintained in SVN.
>>
>> The Zope 3 approach on wiki.zope.org is hardly a shining example of web
>> presence for a web framework that's attractive to users. I'd say overall
>> it's an anti-example (though it's has much improved compared to what it
>> was before - as of quite recently it chased users away saying it was
>> really a site for the developers of Zope 3). Hearing of plans to
>> replicate its approach therefore worry me a little. :)
>
> If there are volunteer for taking over the support for microsite
> approach, I am definitely +1. Othweise I will go with the wiki approach
> (basically because of time constraints). I hope someone steps forward
> for the task its life :-)

We already have all the infrastructure and code we need. If you can
accept that a 'microsite' is a folder (zope.org/projects/zope2 or /zodb
or /whatever), then we already have skeletal microsites for Zope 2, Zope
3 or whatever else. If you'd rather have zope2.zope.org, then that'd be
a matter of VHM configuration.

The new.zope.org initiative died because no-one could write any content.
Even then 5-10 pages of content requires for a very basic microsite was
too much, and several separate calls for volunteers produced almost no
actual content, even if several people showed an interest.

I'm also +1 on a microsite. History suggests that Zope wikis bitrot very
quickly.

Another observation: the thing that most people seem to want to make a
site about was the ZODB. We nearly had enough content for a ZODB
microsite thanks to Christian Theune and a few others.

Oh... and If the Plone site approach is too much overhead to set up
(again?), then Sphinx would be another option. It seems we have a few
people who may be willing to maintain a Sphinx based static site, in
which case, all the better.

Martin