[Zope-dev] Proposal: merge zc.configuration's exclude directive into zope.configuration.

Ethan Jucovy ethan.jucovy at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 11:02:16 EST 2009

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 10:35 AM, Martijn Faassen
<faassen at startifact.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 5:32 PM, Ethan Jucovy <ethan.jucovy at gmail.com> wrote:
>> That's true on paper, but in practice z3c.autoinclude's *indirection*
>> does make a difference when you're just trying to debug what's going
>> on.
>
> If something goes wrong, that's true. I'm not sure how it goes wrong -
> if it goes right, you're going to have included the list of
> dependencies that's in setup.py (if they have relevant zcml files)
>
>>  At any rate, the next release of z3c.autoinclude will provide
>> this feature, through environment variables:
>> http://lists.plone.org/pipermail/framework-team/2009-February/002690.html
>
> Yeah, I saw some code. I don't quite see the point of that feature, as
> it will most likely result in non-working code, right?

Yeah, most likely. :)  I'll admit I mainly added it for symmetry with
autoincludePlugins, where the case for that feature is a lot stronger,
because of the control inversion that happens there.  A few months ago
Vincent Fretin pointed out
(http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/grok-dev/2008-November/006690.html) a
possible case for at least selective disabling of dependency
autoinclusion, though, and I think the feature is harmless enough that
it may as well exist.

The only times I've used it so far have been just for fun though --
turning off autoinclusion somewhere to see what breaks. :)

Ethan