[Zope-dev] Deprecate ITerms in zope.app.form? [Re:zope.browser?]

Roger Ineichen dev at projekt01.ch
Fri Jan 9 10:41:16 EST 2009

Hi Martijn

> Betreff: Re: [Zope-dev] Deprecate ITerms in zope.app.form?
> [Re:zope.browser?]
>
> Hey there,
>
> Roger Ineichen wrote:
> [snip]
> > I don't like that. Probably we should use the existing devmode or
> > something like that? Devmode whould allow us to use it at
> runtime and
> > during testing. What about a deprecation mode?
> >
> > I really like to use such deprecation messages in production too.
> > I think it's a must that we can use them on productive
> servers and see
> > what happens with things stored the ZODB.
>
> I don't like the use of devmode for that, especially as I
> hardly ever use devmode for anything (Grok doesn't really do
> much with it as far as I know).
>
> I prefer a tool that's external to the source code in
> question. You could base it off something like that
> importchecker (see pypi) does.
> It'd analyze what imports take place and whether it's
> importing from a place that marks itself as deprecated.
>
> Your mention of the ZODB issue brings up a good point. We'd
> also need a ZODB-level tool that can do this reporting in
> this case. The current deprecation system already covers this
> case, though, right? Besides an import checker you'd need a
> system that would be able to thrawl through a ZODB and report
> deprecated classes. The drawback is that it'd need to thrawl
> through a ZODB, so that's rather costly. The benefit is also
> that it'd be thorough and find all instances, not just those
> that happen to be in use by a particular application.

I'm fine with any implementation. I just don't like to
loose this (for me) important feature. Note; I think nobody
is able to develop an application which does the cleanup right
if objects get removed. At least I don't know any application
where all objects get correct removed and I know different
apps developed from different companies. Also my own apps
don't do the cleanup correct right now.

Or does someone remove items (e.g. dublin core) from the
annotations for removed objects or the annotation container
itself etc. etc?

There is also an issue with interface references in the
adapter registry. Interfaces (pickle) do not get removed.
This means we really need deprecation warnings in running
applications.

Probably a good start whould be a script which allows
to access every object in the ZODB by iter all objects
and see if something raises a deprecation warning.

Regards
Roger Ineichen