[Zope-dev] Plans for Zope 2.12

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Fri Jan 23 12:02:25 EST 2009

On Friday 23 January 2009, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> > I'm actually willing to abandon the "big tree" altogether, unless
> > somebody comes up with a clever way to automate it from some Z2-specific
> > KGS index.  I think the canonical "source install" would be something
> > like a tarball of a buildout tree, with the 'download-cache' directory
> > already populated (maybe).
>
> Judging by the awesome lack of interest in a Zope 3 big tree release, and
> observing that Zope 2 is going down a similar eggification path I see no
> reason to keep a big tree for Zope 2 long term.

Note that I have a script in zope.release that can update a big tree. The Zope
3.4 release will feature an update of that tree. Now that I have this script,
I can use it for future releases, but we'll probably fade it out soon. (I
just feel really bad not providing a migration path; note that people working
with Zope 3.3 have probably never seen an egg-based release.)

Regards,
Stephan
--
Stephan Richter