[Zope-dev] extracting things out of zope.app.component

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Jan 27 13:12:25 EST 2009

Hi there,

We're working (at a small Grok sprint) on refactoring bits of Zope to
reduce the insane dependency relations that exist between some packages.
The goal is a nice layered dependency structure for Zope 3 packages.

To that purpose Brandon Rhodes and myself started extracting things from
zope.app.component. zope.app.component was a rather confusing package;
it had a README.txt that was lying about the existence of 2 out of 3
other txt files. It takes care of registering some ZCML directives
(class), it offers local site management facilities, and it has some ZMI
to deal with that.

As a first step we've extracted zope.site out of zope.app.component. It
only cares about site management, not about introducing ZCML directives
or about a UI. We've left backwards compatibility imports in the old
package (not deprecation warnings because of a conclusion reached that
appeared to have been reached about not using those in a recent
discussion).

Right now it doesn't reduce dependencies yet. It's a step however, as
we're going to go through the existing packages and change imports.
We're also going to extract the ZCML directive registrations from
zope.app.component into its own package. What will be left in
zope.app.component will be backwards compatibility code and ZMI stuff.

Regards,

Martijn