[Zope-dev] How to test changes to ZTK packages?

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Jul 1 11:48:32 EDT 2009

On Jun 30, 2009, at 10:14 AM, Stephan Richter wrote:

> On Tuesday 30 June 2009, Jim Fulton wrote:
>> I should know this, but I don't.  What is the recommended way to test
>> changes to core ZTK packages to mitigate the risk that changes affect
>> other packages? Is there a page somewhere with instructions?
>>
>> I tried using using zope.release.  Building the trunk of zope.release
>> with Python 2.4 and running the tests gives lots of test import
>> errors
>> and test failures.  (Lots of tests want to import z3c.pt.) The tests
>> hang when I try to build and run with Python 2.6.
>
> Yes, I think testing with zope.release is a good way of doing this
> right now.

What is the difference between zope.release and zope.kgs? Is the
latter a fossil? Does it need to go away?

Why does zope.release have a 2-step build process?  Perhaps naively,
it seems that one could define a simple project that defined a test
script over a "known good set" of projects.  Is the 2-step process a
consequence of maintaining the index or tar ball? (I'm not
criticizing, I'm just trying to understand.)

Jim

--
Jim Fulton
Zope Corporation