[Zope-dev] List of packages in ZTK

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Sat Jul 4 13:31:13 EDT 2009

Christian Theune wrote:

> I took the Zope 3.4 KGS, removed the obvious packages that do not belong
> to the ZTK out of the list and created a home for the master list that
> defines which packages belong to the ZTK.
>
> It's in the Zope toolkit documentation:
> http://docs.zope.org/zopetoolkit/about/packages.html
>
> So, if you see that a package is missing or is classified in the wrong
> way, then please speak up.

Thanks for putting the list together!  A couple of observations:

- - Jim asked us to remove 'zodbcode' and dependencies ('zope.app.module',
  'zope.app.interface').

- - 'zope.decorator' doesn't belong at all:  it is merely a BBB location
  for stuff now in 'zope.security' / 'zope.proxy'.

- - I think that any package on the list which is not used (transitively)
  by either Grok or Zope2 should be excluded, unless there is a
  developer who will champion it.

  o The packages required for Zope2 are listed here:
    http://svn.zope.org/Zope/trunk/versions.cfg?view=markup
    The 'zodbcode' and 'zope.app.interface' items there are not actually
    needed, AFAICT.

  o The Grok list is here:
    http://grok.zope.org/releaseinfo/grok-1.0a4.cfg
    I don't know whether Grok actually needs 'zodbcode' /
    'zope.app.interface', either.

- - I think clustering the list into groups of related pacakges would be
  helpful, as well.  E.g.:

  "Bicycle-seat Toolkit"
  ----------------------
  zope.component
  zope.configuration
  zope.event
  zope.i18nmessageid
  zope.interface
  zope.schema
  zope.testing

  "Zope Page Templates"
  ---------------------
  zope.pagetemplate
  zope.tal
  zope.tales

  "DTML / STX"
  ------------
  zope.documenttemplate
  zope.structuredtext

  Proxy wrappers (require C extensions)
  -------------------------------------
  zope.deferredimport
  zope.deprecation (actually, doesn't require zope.proxy)
  zope.location
  zope.proxy
  zope.security

  ... and so forth.

- - Links to the dependency graphs for each toolkit package would be
  helpful, too.

Tres.
- --
Tres Seaver          +1 540-429-0999          tseaver at palladion.com