[Zope-dev] List of packages in ZTK

Tobias Rodäbel tobias.rodaebel at mac.com
Sun Jul 5 05:14:28 EDT 2009

Hi,

On 05.07.2009, at 07:06, Lennart Regebro wrote:

> 2009/7/5 Stephan Richter <srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu>:
>> To be honest, I am very disappointed by this list. It is totally
>> meaningless
>> to me since it does not represent any list with which I can build
>> even a
>> fairly simple application today. There is not a single z3c package
>> in there.
>
> As I understand it, ZTK is not meant to build applications on. It's
> meant to build application servers on. ZTK is supposed to be tha base
> on which we build things like Grok, Plone, and yes, Zope 3.

I'd like to mention repoze.bfg here. It takes a fairly small set of
zope.* packages. What the ZTK is will be finally defined by the
included packages. From a user's (developing with ZTK) perspective,
I'd appreciate a small good documented well tested and stable set of
tools to build web applications on regardless of which server or which
db I want to use. Christian's list represents that very well, IMHO I'd
kick a few packages I don't use at all. And where is zope.catalog? BTW
z3c.* packages in the ZTK would baffle me a lot, OTOH renaming z3c
packages just to fit into the ZTK seems a bit unorthodox.

Very important are the tools and best practices surrounding the ZTK.
Where do I start to get a state of the art but simple and inviting -
from a developer's perspective - web application?

Regards,
Tobias