[Zope-dev] Linux x86_64 [Was: Zope Tests: 3 OK, 5 Failed]

Hanno Schlichting hanno at hannosch.eu
Sat Jul 25 07:57:47 EDT 2009

On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 2:08 PM, Stefan H. Holek<stefan at epy.co.at> wrote:
> All failures appear to be due to the new box running Linux x86_64.
> Tests still pass fine on the Mac.
>
> Any experience with this? MemoryError in Acquisition? WTH?

I don't have any experience with either 64-bit nor can I write any C.
And it seems obvious that these kind of crashes are caused by C
extension code.

I kind of suspect that we are seeing the results of
http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0353 though.

>From what I understand we need to change code in C extension modules
following the instructions in that PEP, to be able to run code
reliably on 64-bit platforms. To my knowledge nobody changed any C
code in Zope yet to do so.

The other interesting bit to this is, that it seems doable but hard to
do these changes while preserving compatibility with Python 2.4. These
changes along with the definition of "Py_ssize_t" were introduced into
Python 2.5.

At this point I think we need to declare 64-bit platforms as
unsupported. Hopefully people with the right kind of knowledge would
like to step up and start working on these issues.

Hanno