[Zope-dev] Hg mirror available

Wolfgang Schnerring ws at gocept.com
Mon Jun 22 02:02:03 EDT 2009

Hello,

* Sidnei da Silva <sidnei.da.silva at gmail.com> [2009-06-19 14:26]:
> On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 2:43 AM, Wolfgang Schnerring<ws at gocept.com> wrote:
>> $ svn log repos/project/trunk/feature.txt
>> r9 | wosc | 2009-06-18 17:11:46 +0200 (Thu, 18 Jun 2009) | 1 line
>>
>> merged feature1
>> r8 | wosc | 2009-06-18 17:11:43 +0200 (Thu, 18 Jun 2009) | 1 line
>>
>> implemented feature1
>>
>> As you can see, Subversion reports the history of the file that
>> happenened on the branch (in r8).
>
> Can you show us your 'svn --version'? I suspect what you're seeing is
> a result of svn 1.5 merge tracking.

I've dug a little deeper, and found that the example I presented is a
special case, since 'feature.txt' has been *added* on the branch, and
Subversion has indeed always treated the history of copied/added/removed
files differently.

You're right that in the general case, Subversion is only able to show
the whole history (including branches) using the 1.5-mergeinfo support.
One can invoke this via 'svn log --use-merge-history': on my example
repository, compare the output for project/trunk/foo.txt with and
without that switch; without it only shows the merge commit.

Hmm. This means that even if conversion tools did something useful with
the mergeinfo properties (which right now they don't), it would only
solve my specific problem of preserving history for the last 6-12 months
or so, since the repository I'm dealing with stems from 2003 or
something, meaning Subversion 1.2ish, which did not even *store* the
information necessary to recover the history.

I guess I'll need to think about this some more (and then move to a
different mailing list, as we're getting wayyyyy off-topic for zope-dev ;-)

Thanks for your insights,
Wolfgang