[Zope-dev] RFC: ZTK custom publications, zope.app.publication, and zope.traversing

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Jun 23 14:53:26 EDT 2009

On Jun 23, 2009, at 2:36 PM, Shane Hathaway wrote:

> Jim Fulton wrote:
>> They wouldn't. They don't use the URL traversal code. Non-URL
>> traversal code would move to zope.tales. zope.container would
>> depend  on zope.tales rather than on zope.traversing.
>
> For my own education, I would like to understand why it makes sense
> for zope.container to depend on zope.tales.  This dependency
> suggests people need to understand ZPT in order to understand
> container relationships, which seems wrong to me.

Because it provides traversal adapters needed soley by zope.tales.
Keep in mind that these adapters are currently for interfaces defined
by zope.traversing, but these interfaces are only (or should only be)
used by zope.tales.  Of course, these adapters could be moved
elsewhere. In fact, it would be best to move these adapters to
zope.tales as well, as they will work for any mapping object, not just
containers.

There are also publishing adapters in zope.container that could
probably move elsewhere, since they too will work with any mapping.

I suspect when I really wade into this, I'll be able to propose some
other cleanups.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton