[Zope-dev] Standard request/response API

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Mon Mar 2 19:33:55 EST 2009

Hi there,

Jim Fulton wrote:
> There's been some discussion recently about separating the interfaces
> in zope.publisher from the implementations to facilitate other
> implementations.
>
> I think it would be great to standardize request and response APIs.
> I'd love to see this extend beyond the Zope community.   I believe
> that there have been some moves to try to do this at the WSGI level,
> although I haven't kept up with the discussion.

See WebOb for Ian Bicking's effort (who did investigate a lot of these
APIs including ours in that effort). WebOb is very widely adopted in the
WSGI community already and I see no realistic way for us to make any
headway there now that it is established. I believe that Pylons,
TurboGears 2, repoze.bfg and restish all use it.

WebOb is more than an interface but also an implementation and in that
sense is quite a bit like our zope.publisher. Even though it's a
specific implementation it's on top of WSGI so people can adopt it
easily. I think it would be very interesting to look for ways to make
bits of Zope work with WebOb somehow.

Regards,

Martijn