[Zope-dev] the Zope Framework project

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 02:52:27 EST 2009

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 08:42, Christian Theune <ct at gocept.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-03-03 at 08:35 +0100, Lennart Regebro wrote:
>> 1. Areas that need somebody responsible should get one. We need
>> somebody to bug people about bugs in the bug tracker. That should be
>> one person, for example. Responsibilities need to be well defined and
>> individual. There isn't anybody called Someone here, so if Someone has
>> to do it, that doesn't get done.
>
> That's a valid point. However, the steering group was thought of with
> having "fail over" in mind so that few people would know about the tasks
> at hand and can jump in for each other (in a coordinated fashion).

Sure. But what happens in those cases is that everybody sits around
waiting for the steering group to do it, so it stops acting as a
failover, and gets swamped.

> However, the group should be able to make a better job at keeping things
> in flow and focused.

Well, maybe it should. I don't think it would. Groups generally don't.

> As much as I prefer discussing with people in real life, there is the
> notion of "no backroom conversations" WRT to driving development of an
> open source project.

OK. *Cough*. You and Martijn wrote this proposal. And you asked
Stephan about it. You did backroom conversations. No, you did not do
anything wrong. You did everything completely correct. But forget not
having backroom conversations. That will and must happen. It is
backroom *decisions* that is the problem. When a group will come out
with a decision they made by themselves. This *will* happen when you
have a dedicated group of people making decision. The only way to
avoid that is to not have a steering group, but somehow have everybody
involved in a decision. And that is as noted not always practical
either.

> Having major issues resolved in RL meetings will exclude all those whose
> schedules don't match and those who can't afford to travel to Far Far
> Away.

Aren't we now saying that to avoid excluding some people, we should
exclude all but a steering group? :-)

--
Lennart Regebro: Pythonista, Barista, Notsotrista.
http://regebro.wordpress.com/