[Zope-dev] the Zope Framework project

Gary Poster gary.poster at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 08:12:11 EST 2009

On Mar 3, 2009, at 7:35 AM, Martijn Pieters wrote:

> And so far I haven't heard any better ideas than
> what Martijn is proposing (no, leaving the status quo, deny there is a
> problem and steer by majority is not a counter proposal in my view).
> It may be that the idea needs some tweaking, but that's just details.
>
> Would it be possible to focus this discussion around clearer lines?
> Create counter proposals if you have to

I'm surprised my proposal didn't generate any replies, and can only
assume that it is because it created the silence of everyone quietly
saying "Whaaa?" :-)

My mild counter proposal was this.

- The ZF formally institutes an easy way for people to start "Zope"
projects

- Hopefully, Martijn F. starts something like the project he described

- Hopefully, people follow it.

In other words, I suppose, Just Do It.

I don't think Martijn, nor anyone else who has been part of the
community long enough to be on the ZF, needs the entire community to
bless his idea to try to move forward--they need just an absence of a
veto for the use of the chosen name, as I proposed more concretely in
the original email.

I think that incorporates some of the more laissez-faire advocates are
arguing for: someone else can also start their own counter project, if
desired.  Maybe they won't, but they can.  And this freedom could
allow us to escape the need to feel that everyone has to agree about
this.

Beyond that, I didn't say my other smaller thought, which was that I
think the KGS should ideally be looser and more flexible than what
Martijn described.  If you have a project that wants in on the KGS,
great, you can add it.  Institute a "nightly" KGS for an upcoming
release (and maybe the most recent release).  It stays around forever
at a specific URL.  Include only the projects whose tests pass in the
nightly KGS.  Have a list elsewhere of the ones for which the tests
fail.  If the tests don't pass for some period of time, apparently the
maintainers and users don't exist or don't care, and they get taken
off the list to be tested.  The "Zope Framework" team leader then
decides some time to make a release, so people might shuffle around
versions more than usual, but it's just another KGS.

Gary