[Zope-dev] non-zodb persistent registries

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Thu Mar 5 03:34:00 EST 2009

Hey Tres,

Tres Seaver wrote:
> 2. Move the persistent registry stuff out into another package,
>    including whatever support is needed to allow for people to migrate
>    existing persistent references.  Effectively, this moves one "extra"
>    out to a package, *including* its testing dependencies.
>
>   zope.persistentregistry (BIKESHED NAMING ALERT)
>     depends on:
>     - zope.configuration
>     - ZODB3

I was interested to see this for the reason I gave in the subject line,
and it might affect the naming of this package... Might I suggest
zope.zodbregistry for this?

The reason being that, for a long time, I've wanted to see a persistent
registry that stored in a rdb rather than zodb.

However, I'm a bit stumped at how to implement this and certainly having
the zodb-based registry mixed in with the zope.component code confused
the hell out of me when I last looked. The one that particularly got me
was how, in a multi-process/multi-thread setup such as a wsgi app, you
would get other threads'/processes' registries to update themselves when
a registry in one thread/process was changed. Any ideas how to do this?

We do actually have this problem with the text-file based registry, it's
just that we accept a restart of the server is needed when that text
file changes. A "nice to have" would be an equivalent of apache's reload
command.

Is anyone else interested in this kind of stuff?

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk