[Zope-dev] Zope 3 app server dying? (was Re: the Zope Framework project)

Gary Poster gary.poster at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 08:15:43 EST 2009

On Mar 5, 2009, at 6:38 AM, Hermann Himmelbauer wrote:

> And I am personally interested if the Zope 3 app server is something
> that's
> dying in favour for other projects (Plone/Grok) or is actively used.

Not clear on what you mean by the "app server".

If you mean zope.publisher, no, I don't think it is dying.

The proposals to learn from repoze's approach, and hopefully integrate
with WebOb, mean that this is alive and kicking.

Also, to varying degrees, some medium-to-big companies are sitting on
top of it, and these companies IME tend to have big code bases that
tend to change decisions like this slowly.

Also, I'm pretty sure Grok also sits on top of much of the publisher
machinery.

On the other hand, I personally have the impression that the basic
Zope 3 ZMI is pretty much dying or dead.  Grok and Plone are the only
ones innovating in that space (in extremely different ways, of
course), as far as I can tell.

Gary