[Zope-dev] setup.py "extra" dependencies

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Thu Mar 5 13:43:50 EST 2009

Hi there,

I know opinions are divergent about 'extra' dependencies in setup.py.
These ar dependencies that effectively make a single project with a
single dependency structure into a number of "virtual" packages that
each can have a separate list of dependencies. Such a virtual package
that we're currently getting rid of is zope.component[zcml].

I think they make the graph harder to reason about. That's bad, we want
to reason about the system more easily. So I propose that:

* we shouldn't create any new "extra" dependencies from now on.

* we should investigate ways to remove the need for 'extra' dependencies.

The latter point would of course not be done instantly, but if we agree
we don't want to create *more* "extra" dependencies we can agree on
starting with that policy right away.

One place where "extra" dependencies are used quite a lot is in testing.
One extra dependency that shows up a lot is a dependency on
zope.app.testing. I think that *also* makes things much harder to reason
about; testing dependencies should follow normal package dependencies.

I therefore think zope.app.testing is one package we should be looking
to get rid of eventually by splitting it up among a lot of 'testing'
modules in individual packages. This way we won't have zope.app.testing
sitting at an edge against our whole dependency tree. Since this is a
lot of work this will be an ongoing project but we could at least agree
we *want* to do this.

Opinions?

Regards,

Martijn