[Zope-dev] Stripping down zope.component

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Fri Mar 6 09:24:53 EST 2009

Hi there,

Tres Seaver wrote:
[snip]
> Actually, we don't need an upgrade path.  We can just leave a
> 'meta.zcml' in zope.component which <includes> the new locations.  That
> file will be *inert*, and doesn't therefore need testing, because none
> of the directive implementations will be present.
>
> Over time, people can shift to including the new meta.zcml at their
> leisure.  We can leave the redirecting meta.zcml in zope.component
> *forever*, if need be.

It's not just the meta.zcml story, where I can agree we could leave
something in place, but it's the dependencies in setup.py, right?

If the implementation of the directives lives in zope.componentzcml, any
codebase that loads any ZCML at all (in its tests especially) is very
likely to need zope.componentzcml besides zope.component. Or am I
missing something here?

[snip]
>> Anyway, this upgrade path needs to be spelled out clearly in the
>> zope.component CHANGES.txt pointing people in the right direction. We
>> also need to spell it out in this document:
>>
>> http://svn.zope.org/zope3docs/source/migration/34to35.rst
>
> Maintaining that document is out of scope for me. ;)

If my above story about the dependencies is right, it is necessary to
remark this in a central place. We do have framework-wide policies in
place, and explaining to people how to unbreak their code in a single
place they can look should be one of them. We do after all have people
who use a whole bunch of these libraries at the same time. But if you
can write it clearly in the CHANGES.txt and tell me, I'll add it to that
document if you can't be bothered.

Regards,

Martijn