[Zope-dev] deprecating the deprecation system?

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 12:09:21 EDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 15:56, Dieter Maurer <dieter at handshake.de> wrote:
> The "product_name" parameter used to be mandatory -- thus all
> calls to "ToolInit" had to use it.
> Then, a means was found to derive it automatically
> from the context. The developper was so happy that he wanted all
> others immediately drop the parameter -- result: several dozens of deprecation
> warnings for each start -- in trivial cases, where the automatically
> derived information was identical to the explicitly provided....
> I called out "what a stupidity"....

I agree that this deprecation warning is pointless. The parameter can
just stay there and be ignored, no need to warn. But the description
of the change is incorrect, the decision to ignore the parameter was
for reason, not just because we could, even if I don't exactly
remember what the reason was now. :)

--
Lennart Regebro: Pythonista, Barista, Notsotrista.
http://regebro.wordpress.com/