[Zope-dev] Namespace declaration using pkgutil vs pkg_resources

Baiju M mbaiju at zeomega.net
Wed Mar 11 13:45:10 EDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 10:56 PM, Zvezdan Petkovic <zvezdan at zope.com> wrote:
> On Mar 11, 2009, at 10:29 AM, Martijn Faassen wrote:
>> Since Jim says you're not missing something, I'm going to add to the
>> Zope Framework Steering Group decisions that this is enough and we
>> could clean up __init__.py's to this if we would want to.
>
> So, let me try to understand the decision process here:
>
> 1. The extras_require is banned to enable building with regular
> distutils.

extras_require is _not_ banned yet.

There is no such decision here:
http://docs.zope.org/zopeframework/steeringgroup/decisions.html

Though I can see this:

"We can consider removing extra dependencies for particular
Zope Framework packages in order to make the dependency
graph easier to reason about. We will do this on a case
by case basis though."

> 2. pkgutil is now banned which will prevent regular distutils from
> working properly.

'setuptools' is a hard-dependency for all packages now, without
removing that, there is no point in keeping that fall-back
import of 'pkgutil'.

Regards,
Baiju M