[Zope-dev] zc.recipe.cmmi shared builds

Wolfgang Schnerring ws at gocept.com
Tue Mar 24 05:26:08 EDT 2009

Hello,

I'd like to extend zc.recipe.cmmi to support shared build directories.

Use case example: we use lxml in a lot of our projects, which
currently means having to build libxml and libxslt over and over
again, since the buildout needs to be standalone and thus can't depend
on them being installed on the system. But while that's a necessity
for deployment, it's really annoying for development.

Plan of attack:
Introduce an option "shared" (defaults to False). If that is set,
a) calculate HASH as a hash of the recipe's current options (e. g.
configure parameters, environment variables)
b) perform the cmmi in ${buildout:download-cache}/cmmi/build/<HASH>,
if that directory is not present yet. (Probably needs a little thought
about how to differentiate between "present and has a complete build"
and "present but we errored out")

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Wolfgang