[Zope-dev] dropping Python 2.4 support in the Zope Toolkit?

Hermann Himmelbauer dusty at qwer.tk
Tue May 5 13:03:55 EDT 2009

Am Dienstag 05 Mai 2009 16:46:03 schrieb Martijn Faassen:
> Hey,
>
> Martijn Faassen wrote:
> > Martijn Faassen wrote:
> >> In order to get to a conclusion:
> >>
> >> I haven't seen convincing arguments yet *not* to drop the Python 2.4 for
> >> new releases of the Zope Toolkit libraries.
> >>
> >> I'd like to phrase the debate in those terms instead of the reverse,
> >> because ensuring Python 2.4 compatibility is an additional burden for
> >> developers and we need good arguments for *not* dropping this burden.
> >
> > Since I haven't seen such arguments besides the Plone 3.x related ones,
> > I will amend the zope toolkit decisions about this.
>
> A few more arguments popped up since then, as I half expected, so I'll
> remove that decision and re-open the discussion for a while. I don't
> want to upset a whole lot of Plone folks.

Hmmm, maybe I'll come up with my suggestion publicly:

If I understood the problem right, one main reason for dropping Python 2.4 is
some error in .tar.gz compression. I don't know anything about it, but I
estimate that such a bug may be relatively easy to fix in the Python 2.4
source code itself? If yes, perhaps there's a way to have the Python people
release a Python 2.4.6 release?

Perhaps this may be a lot better solution than endless arguing, speculating
and eventually breaking other peoples code?

I personally still somehow miss strong arguments for dropping Python 2.4
(except for the above bug).

Best Regards,
Hermann

hermann at qwer.tk
GPG key ID: 299893C7 (on keyservers)
FP: 0124 2584 8809 EF2A DBF9  4902 64B4 D16B 2998 93C7