[Zope-dev] dropping Python 2.4 support in the Zope Toolkit?

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Tue May 5 16:51:41 EDT 2009

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 15:30, Stephan Richter
<srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu> wrote:
> [...] I think that dropping Python 2.4 support in general will actually
> massively increase the compatibility burden elsewhere.

That would indeed be bad, and in practice remove the benefit of
dropping 2.4 support.

> Plone is using z3c.form. We are currently in the process of releasing z3c.form
> 2.0, which has a massive amount of new features, which are very useful. As a
> z3c.form developer I want to stay compatible with the current Plone release,
> because (a) the code gets tested in a very different environment, and (b) it
> probably represents my largest user base. By dropping Python 2.4 support for
> the Toolkit, I now have stay compatible with 2 or 3 versions of the KGS (Zope
> 3.3?, Zope 3.4, Zope Toolkit 1.0) and 2 or 3 Python versions (2.4, 2.5,
> 2.6?).

But.... don't you have to be compatible with these anyway?
With ZTK 1.0 supporting 2.4 z3c.form needs to support:

Zope 3.3 on Python 2.4.
Zope 3.4 on Python 2.4 and 2.5
ZTK 1.0 on Python 2.4, 2.5 and 2.6

If ZTK drops 2.4 support, you need to be compatible with:

Zope 3.3 on Python 2.4 (For Plone 3 support)
Zope 3.4 on Python 2.4 and 2.5 (For Grok support)
ZTK 1.0 on Python 2.5 and 2.6 (For bleeding edge support)

That doesn't sound like a *bigger* burden. It sounds like a *smaller*
burden. Not *much* smaller, but still. :)

Or did I misunderstand something?

http://regebro.wordpress.com/
+33 661 58 14 64