[Zope-dev] "ZTK" futures: one big package?

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Sun May 10 21:07:13 EDT 2009

On 5/10/09 8:50 PM, Chris Withers wrote:
>> Over time, we'd tease out the dependencies of packages that live in
>> the ZTK distribution, making them useful outside without any
>> dependency on the ZTK. The names of these packages could be arbitrary
>> (they wouldn't need to retain their old "zope.*" names). Some
>> backwards dependency shims would be added to the ZTK to prevent old
>> imports from breaking, and the ZTK distribution would then just have a
>> dependency on the thing that got broken out.
>
> Well, if they just used their old zope.* names, no shims would be
> needed, right? If it works, don't break it so it doesn't work ;-)

When possible, sure.  The situation I'm thinking about in particular when
suggesting that we could rename some things is that the current *structure* of
packaging is pretty messed up in some cases (zope.publisher vs.
zope.app.publisher, or z3c.form vs. zope.formlib, for instance).  It might make
sense to reshuffle code around that currently lives in separate packages into a
single more external logical library or framework that might have aspects of all
of the individual packages without needing to carry along the baggage of the old
packaging structure.  When we move it out, it could have an arbitrary name and
an arbitrary structure; shims could exist in the old locations within the ZTK to
keep old code running.

- C